InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

Soccer

FIFA suspends funds to American soccer federation

Soccer

FIFA has halted payments to the regional soccer bodies of the Americas during ongoing investigations into corruption.

Comments
Comments Print article

The money was due to the federation known as CONCACAF, which represents North and Central America and the Caribbean, and the South American group known as CONMEBOL.

FIFA said the money has been put on hold “until further notice”. The international ruling body is “assessing further steps” to “increase the level of assurance” so funds may be released in the future.

CONCACAF said a $10 million payment was halted. The group said it has met all of FIFA’s requests for documents to “ensure the issue is resolved in a timely manner.”

The past three presidents of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL are among more than three dozen individuals who have been charged with corruption by U.S. prosecutors.

It comes as FIFA presidential candidate Gianni Infantino says he won’t automatically choose a European to be his secretary general if he wins the election to lead world soccer this month, breaking a pattern dating back more than 100 years.

Infantino, who appears to have widespread backing in Europe and promised support from South and Central American countries, hinted he could appoint an African to run FIFA’s day-to-day administration if he wins the election in Zurich on February 26.

Speaking at London’s Wembley Stadium, he gave no specific indication why he would seek to broaden FIFA’s power base as he launched his action plan for his first three months in office, should he win the vote.

But with outgoing president Sepp Blatter banned from soccer, and secretary general Jerome Valcke sacked as part of the corruption allegations engulfing the sport, all eyes are on candidates’ reform proposals to clean up soccer and keep big money sponsors on side.

The 45-year-old Swiss, currently general secretary of European body UEFA, does not want FIFA to be seen as being Euro-centric.

“What we want to do is open the doors of the FIFA administration to the most able people around the world,” he said.

“I am convinced the general secretary of FIFA should not be an European. Why not an African?,” he told reporters as he detailed the 11 key points he would focus on in office.

Since FIFA was founded in 1904, it has had 10 secretary generals – the official who runs the day-to-day-operations — and all of them have been European.

Infantino is one of five men standing to become only the ninth elected president in FIFA’s 112-year-history.

The current incumbent is acting president Issa Hayatou of Cameroon, while FIFA also has an acting secretary general, Markus Kattner, who stepped in to replace Valcke who was sacked last month after being implicated in the illegal sale of World Cup tickets in Brazil in 2014.

Blatter, who has been banned from soccer for eight years pending an appeal, and Valcke are among the highest profile casualties of the corruption and bribery scandal that has roiled FIFA since May. Both deny wrongdoing.

The FBI and Swiss authorities have arrested 41 people and their investigations are continuing.

As well as Infantino, Frenchman Jerome Champagne, Prince Ali bin Al-Hussein of Jordan, Tokyo Sexwale of South Africa and Sheikh Salman Ebrahim Al Khalifa of Bahrain are also standing for election as FIFA president.

-Reuters, with AP

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

Comments

Show comments Hide comments
Will my comment be published? Read the guidelines.

More Soccer stories

Loading next article