The response from the ACA came yesterday, a day after a report said CA boss James Sutherland threatened that players wouldn’t be paid beyond June 30 unless they agreed to the proposal.
According to Fairfax Media, Sutherland on Friday sent an explosive email to Nicholson which he forwarded to players around Australia.
“Clearly, we are disappointed that CA are threatening the players,” Nicholson said in a statement.
“It’s also a window into the nature of CA’s behaviour in these negotiations so far.
“There is incoherence and aggression in what we have experienced at the negotiating table from CA.
“This has further been demonstrated this week with some top players being offered multi-years deals one day only to now be threatened the next.
“However, despite these threats, the players affirm their offer to participate in independent mediation.”
Test stars, including Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins, responded to the article on social media.
Players are staying strong 👊🏽 #fairshare https://t.co/ESq5itOORm
— Pat Cummins (@patcummins30) May 13, 2017
Well said @mstarc56. It will be an interesting game of cricket without any players. #fairshare https://t.co/JF12XkNUdh
— Shane Watson (@ShaneRWatson33) May 13, 2017
Players past & present will stay strong #fairshare https://t.co/vZODMbDN3N
— Mitchell Johnson (@MitchJohnson398) May 13, 2017
When was the last time @englandcricket won the Ashes 5-0 downunder?!?!
Fairly big player strike soon in Aus… https://t.co/GbSMIiBDin
— KP (@KP24) May 13, 2017
The email casts doubt on what team Australia could field after June 30, with a two-Test series scheduled in August in Bangladesh, before this summer’s home Ashes.
Sutherland has not been involved in the pay talks but has written: “CA is not contemplating alternative contracting arrangements to pay players beyond 30 June if their contracts have expired.
“In the absence of the ACA negotiating a new MOU (memorandum of understanding), players with contracts expiring in 2016-17 will not have contracts for 2017-18 … that players with existing multi-year state or Big Bash contracts would be required to play in 2017-18 even if a new pay deal is not struck; and that if a new MOU was not agreed …”
The ACA on Friday had moved to enter mediation with CA over the matter.
Make your contribution to independent news
A donation of any size to InDaily goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. South Australia needs more than one voice to guide it forward, and we’d truly appreciate your contribution. Please click below to donate to InDaily.