The University’s 2019 strategic plan, including further capital works, follows the announcement of Flinders University receiving full ongoing accreditation from the Australian Government Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA).
Flinders University has been one of the first in the country to be awarded a 10 year registration period from TEQSA as a result of our “ established track record of low-risk, high-quality delivery of higher education”.
Professor Stirling says the extension from the normal seven year registration period to 10 years is a tick of approval to high teaching standards backed by investment in new student resources at Flinders, a progressive college structure and introduction of specialist teacher positions.
As Australian universities face research cutbacks and regulatory change, 2019 presents many challenges and opportunities to improve further, Professor Stirling says.
“2018 has been a transformational year for our University. Not only is the reputation and quality of the teaching and research at Flinders University been highlighted on the national and international stage, but we continue to progress collaborations with leading industry and academic partners in many sectors.
“This includes research and development leadership in areas such as advanced manufacturing; health technologies; mental health and wellbeing; and autonomous vehicles,” he says.
Along with the installation of a 1.8 megawatt solar array at the Bedford Park campus, developments at the nearby Tonsley site – such as two driverless shuttle trials – have complemented the University’s medical and health education and clinical work covering Adelaide and into regional and rural areas of South Australia and throughout the Northern Territory.
“While the geographical scale of our University is impressive, the impact we have on these many communities is increasing every year,” Professor Stirling says.
2018 was a big year for Flinders University with international and domestic recognition, including:
- #1 SA Uni for teaching quality, learning engagement and student support (1)
- Five stars in overall experience, student: teacher ratios, learning resources and skills development
- Top 5 university for student support (2)
- Flinders and CDW Studios ranked #1 in the World for Digital Illustration for the second year in a row (3)
- Top 50 university in Asia-Pacific region (4)
- QILT (Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching) student experience survey 2018, Public SA-founded universities only
- International student barometer 2018, overall support benchmark
- World 2017 Global Rankings Report – Rookies
- World University Rankings 2018