Reuters reported Nystar overnight saying the outage at one of the world’s biggest lead smelters occurred on May 28.
It prompted the Belgium-incorporated company to declare force majeure, or unforeseeable circumstances which mean a contract can’t be fulfilled.
“We are currently in the process of assessing the outage and expect that production should resume within the coming days,” Nystar is reported as saying.
“There will be a negative impact to Nyrstar’s lead metal production due to the outage.”
Nystar’s website lists no media release about any outage at the Port Pirie smelter.
Global lead prices reportedly surged to the highest in a month upon the news.
The Port Pirie smelter produced 160,000 tonnes of lead metal last year, down 7 percent from 2017.
The shutdown comes as the company begins making principal repayments on a taxpayer-funded $291 million loan to redevelop the smelter, with Treasurer Rob Lucas using his power to approve or veto a takeover of the company as leverage in negotiations over the outstanding debt.
Trafigura, a global commodity trading giant and Nyrstar’s largest shareholder, in April revealed its intentions for a majority takeover of the zinc and lead miner.
Lucas said Trafigura needed his approval to do so, under the terms of the loan from the State Government.
“I do have to give authority in relation to a potential transfer of ownership, and that obviously been part of some of the discussions I’ve had,” he said on May 1.
“They are certainly aware that they require my approval as State Treasurer in relation to any potential change in ownership.
“Their timetable in terms of their takeover of Nyrstar is essentially in the period June to July.”
He said the people of Port Pirie could be assured that Trafigura was “at pains to reinforce the fact that in becoming the new owners of Nyrstar that Port Pirie is an important element of their potential global operation”.
He described negotiations with Nyrstar and Trafigura as positive and constructive, but said he could not yet say when the loan would be paid back.
“It’s too early for me to say anything definitive in relation to those final discussions other than they’ve been positive (and) constructive,” he said.
The State Government loan underwrote part of a $660 million redevelopment of Nyrstar’s Port Pirie operations in order to secure jobs.
Nystar last year employed 720 workers at the plant, but said in November it would cut jobs this year.
“As the transformation of the smelter includes shutting down obsolete and out-dated equipment, we will reduce positions at Port Pirie by approximately 120 employees and contractors in 2019,” the company said.
“We will ensure if additional requirements are added to a role that they will be able to be performed successfully keeping safety as our number one priority.”
Nystar could not be contacted for comment this morning.
– with AAP
Want to comment?
Send us an email, making it clear which story you’re commenting on and including your full name (required for publication) and phone number (only for verification purposes). Please put “Reader views” in the subject.
We’ll publish the best comments in a regular “Reader Views” post. Your comments can be brief, or we can accept up to 350 words, or thereabouts.
InDaily has changed the way we receive comments. Go here for an explanation.
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to contribute to InDaily.