InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

Sydney celebrates first cruise ship visit since pandemic shutdown

News

A cruise ship has been welcomed to Sydney Harbour for the first time since the infamous Ruby Princess sparked a COVID-19 outbreak two years ago.

Print article

On Monday, luxury cruise ship Pacific Explorer became the first to return to Australian shores since the COVID-19 pandemic brought the cruise and travel industries to their knees.

The ship which can carry almost 2000 passengers arrived in Sydney to a ceremonial water cannon salute following a 28-day voyage from Europe, where it has been anchored for most of the past two years.

Before the pandemic, as many as 350 cruise ships travelled to Australia each year carrying more than 600,000 passengers.

The suspension cost the Australian economy more than $10 billion during that time, according to Cruise Lines International Association, with businesses including travel agents, caterers, tour operators and hospitality and transport providers all impacted.

Foodservice Suppliers Association Australia chief executive Vince Crawley said the return of cruising would flow right through the economy.

“Clearly they’ve gone through a tough few years, so any return to normal is important for food service and the supply chain,” Crawley said.

He said cafes, restaurants and other hospitality venues would benefit, as would local suppliers.

It is unclear, however, how fast the rebound might take, with tourism operators previously being felled by virus outbreaks and general travel hesitancy.

Melbourne-resident Caroline O’Neill said that she had her first-ever cruise booked at the start of the pandemic. That trip was cancelled as were two subsequent reschedules.

“I wouldn’t go now while the pandemic is still going … I’d like to see how it goes over the next six to 12 months,” she said.

“I’d like to go, but it’s too scary.”

O’Neill said she feared being stranded on a ship during an outbreak, or being exposed in a new wave of the virus, much like what happened to those on the Ruby Princess at the start of the pandemic.

The Ruby Princess has been linked to 28 coronavirus deaths and hundreds of cases, with a NSW inquiry laying most of the blame on health authorities for allowing infected passengers to leave the ship. Weeks earlier, the Diamond Princess made international headlines after being forced to quarantine off the coast of Japan for two weeks due to infections on board.

Joel Katz, the Australasia managing director for the Cruise Lines International Association, said an enormous amount of work had been done with medical experts to ensure the safety of guests and 18,000 Australians whose livelihoods depend on cruise tourism.

-with AAP

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]