Cases have more than doubled since Wednesday when SA Health reported 198 new infections, up from 154 on Tuesday and 105 on Monday.
SA Health said this afternoon that 108 new locally acquired had been detected in South Australia from a total of 25,175 tests, while a further 366 cases are under investigation to determine their source.
Another 10 cases were recorded from interstate. None were detected from overseas arrivals.
SA Health said the new cases include 43 children, 26 teenagers, 192 women aged between 18 and 96 and 223 men aged between 18 and 88.
Of the new cases, 230 are vaccinated, 70 are unvaccinated while the vaccination status of a further 184 is unknown to SA Health.
The state’s number of Omicron cases has also jumped from eight to 36 today.
The number of people hospitalised with the virus has also increased from five to seven.
A man in his 30s is now ventilated in the Royal Adelaide Hospital’s intensive care unit.
Two men in their 50s and 60s and two women in their 90s are being treated for COVID-19 at the RAH, while a woman in her 30s is being treated at the Flinders Medical Cetnre.
A child is also being treated for COVID-19 at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
There are now 1214 active cases in South Australia, of which 1138 are in home quarantine and 69 are in a medi-hotel.
A further 1434 close contacts have been identified and are in quarantine, according to SA Health.
No new exposure sites have been listed publicly by SA Health since Tuesday afternoon.
Today’s new cases bring the tally of infections since South Australia reopened its border to 1307.
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.