InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

Lawyer calls for Crows camp report to be released

News

An Adelaide lawyer has called for Safework SA to release its report into a year-long inquiry into a controversial Adelaide Crows camp, which found no breach of workplace safety laws.

Print article

Greg Griffin said today that Safework SA’s finding did not tally with what he had been told by players who had attended the camp.

Safework SA yesterday issued a statement clearing the Adelaide Football Club of any breaches of the Work Health & Safety Act 2012 during the 2018 Gold Coast camp, held after the Crows’ 2017 Grand Final loss to Richmond.

The camp, run in conjunction with private training firm Collective Mind, prompted allegations about activities and methods and was linked to a player exodus and the club’s subsequent spiral from finals contention.

The AFL Integrity Unit in 2018 cleared the Crows and Collective Mind of any breaches.

But Safework SA launched its investigation in July last year following calls from MPs including Premier Steven Marshall, who said there were “genuine concerns” and an inquiry would be “an interesting thing to explore”.

In announcing the inquiry’s findings yesterday, Safework SA said no further action would be taken.

“Thorough investigations often reveal that no breach of the law occurred. This was the case in this matter,” it said.

Safework SA said the Crows “fully cooperated” and provided all information and materials but no details would be released due to confidentiality provisions in the WHS Act that prevent the disclosure of information acquired during an investigation.

The Crows said in a statement that SafeWork SA had undertaken a “comprehensive” and “confidential” investigation and it had found that “neither the club nor any other person or organisation breached any work health and safety laws during or in relation to the camp”.

Following the statements, Collective Mind managing director Amon Woulfe said he was considering legal options in regard to media reporting of the camp.

“While we are glad this has finally been resolved, it should not be forgotten that these false and sustained allegations have had significant impacts on our business, our brand and our personal reputations,” Woulfe said in a statement late on Tuesday.

“We fully understand the important role the media plays in sport, however, the media has an obligation to make sure its facts are correct.

“In our case, the reporting was incorrect, repeatedly inflated and deeply hurtful. We are still yet to receive any sort of retraction or public apology, and we will be seeking appropriate legal redress.”

But Adelaide lawyer Greg Griffin today said he was surprised at Safework SA’s ruling.

“I’ve met with parents of players who’ve seen significant changes to their children as a consequence of their experience on this camp,” he told ABC Radio Adelaide.

“If Safework accepts there has been fair and reasonable conduct, it tells me there are no rules…

“I don’t accept that this is anything approaching the outcome that I think those players and affected people are entitled to have received.

“If Safework are so confident of the report, why don’t they publish it and let people see for themselves? I’m entitled to take my view, which is: I know what happened and I am extraordinarily surprised that Safework would say nothing to see here.”

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article