In a statement this afternoon, Commissioner Ann Vanstone said that a recent investigation by her officers found the 56-year-old Kingswood man allegedly deceived SA Health by submitting timesheets that falsely claimed that he had been recalled to a metropolitan hospital to perform surgery.
Vanstone said the alleged offending occurred between June 25, 2017, and April 27, 2018.
Her statement said that in some instances claims were allegedly made for procedures for which the surgeon had no involvement, while in others he “merely offered advice to a more junior doctor but did not perform the relevant procedure himself”.
Other claims involved procedures that the surgeon allegedly did perform, but in ordinary working hours for which he was already being paid, or which were undertaken in the surgeon’s private capacity.
“It is alleged that in all but one instance the timesheets were certified and authorised by the surgeon himself,” Vanstone said.
It is alleged that the total amount of the fraudulent claims is over $65,000.
The surgeon has been summonsed to appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court next Tuesday.
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.