NSW Health on Friday said the locally acquired case was a man in his 50s from southwest Sydney, who had not had contact with a previously confirmed case.
The case was detected by health authorities on Thursday, but was included in Friday’s numbers.
NSW Health has advised anyone who attended Woolworths in Campbelltown Mall on September 17 between 1.30pm and 2pm is considered a casual contact and must monitor for symptoms.
SA reopened its border to NSW at midnight Wednesday after the eastern state reached 14 days without reporting any COVID-19 cases with an unknown source, and then a further two days with zero community transmission.
The rule change means anyone entering South Australia from New South Wales from yesterday will not have to quarantine for 14 days.
Chief public health officer Professor Nicola Spurrier said the decision to open up to NSW did carry risk, “but we can’t just wrap ourselves in cotton wool forever”.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian yesterday said “thousands” of people had booked flights from Sydney to Adelaide upon hearing the news, but warned the virus was still active in Australia’s biggest city.
“While there were no locally acquired cases recorded in the past 48 hours, the virus is likely still circulating and it is imperative anyone displaying mild symptoms get tested immediately and not delay their test,” she said.
NSW Health is currently treating 71 COVID-19 cases, with two patients in intensive care. None are on ventilators.
Make your contribution to independent news
A donation of any size to InDaily goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. South Australia needs more than one voice to guide it forward, and we’d truly appreciate your contribution. Please click below to donate to InDaily.