InDaily

Adelaide's independent news

Support

SafeWork halts another Old Red Brick Co demolition

News

Safety concerns over the dismantling of a Port Adelaide warehouse have prompted a council to close residential streets, after Safework SA slapped the demolition company with its third prohibition notice in less than six months.

Print article

Port Adelaide Enfield Council has closed streets near the College St site adjacent to the remaining wall of the warehouse being demolished by Adelaide contractor, Old Red Brick Co.

Members of the public alerted SafeWork SA to the issue. Safework SA responded by issuing a prohibition notice on the demolition.

Photographs of the demolition, supplied to InDaily by construction union the CFMEU, appear to show the wall of the warehouse bowing, with a car parked adjacent to the structure.

The prohibition notice is the third time the safety watchdog has stopped an Old Red Brick Co demolition in less than six months.

A spokesperson for SafeWork SA told InDaily its staff attended the site following the complaints.

“On investigation, SafeWork SA prohibited all work on site until adequate safety measures are put in place to minimise risk to workers and the public,” the spokesperson said.

“Port Adelaide Enfield Council supported SafeWork SA’s actions by putting in road closures.

“We will continue to monitor the organisation to ensure adequate safety measures are put in place to manage the risk to workers and the public.”

Photo: supplied.

Photo: supplied.

The spokesperson declined to say how many prohibition notices had been issued against the company in total, “as investigations are ongoing”.

A Port Adelaide Enfield Council spokesperson told InDaily:”Our Rapid Response vehicle attended on Tuesday and closed the road off between College and Claire St in Port Adelaide after a request from Safework SA.”

In April, SafeWork issued a temporary prohibition notice on the company’s demolition of a Waymouth Street building because part of a floor slab hit scaffolding, which fell against a neighbouring construction site.

The following month, SafeWork temporarily halted Old Red Brick Co’s demolition of Port Adelaide’s historic Shed 26 after asbestos was found there.

The construction union, the CFMEU, had produced dozens of photographs of apparent asbestos debris on the site – part of which later tested positive to asbestos – and video showing Old Red Brick Co workers sweeping the ground where the debris was identified, elevating plumes of dust potentially containing deadly asbestos fibres.


The CFMEU later produced an audit report alleging the contractor had committed at least 59 breaches of work health and safety law and regulations, and national and international standards, during the Shed 26 demolition.

InDaily approached Old Red Brick Co for comment on the latest forced stoppage, but a representative referred us to developer Rivergum Homes, which did not respond.

We value local independent journalism. We hope you do too.

InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to become an InDaily supporter.

Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article

Subscribe to InDaily – it’s free!

South Australia’s locally owned, independent source of digital news.

Subscribe now and go in the monthly draw* for your chance to WIN a $100 Foodland voucher!

Subscribe free here

*Terms and conditions apply

Welcome back!

Did you know it’s FREE to subscribe?

Subscribe now and go in the monthly draw* for your chance to WIN a $100 voucher!

Subscribe

*Terms and conditions apply