InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

Italian consulate to stay in Adelaide

News

Comments
Comments Print article

A campaign to keep the Italian government’s Adelaide consulate open has succeeded.

South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill says the Italian government has just passed an official decree reversing its decision from earlier this year to close the office.

“This is a win for our Italian community,” Weatherill said on Monday.

“After considerable local pressure, the Italian government has confirmed that the decision to close the consulate has now been revoked unconditionally.”

More than 90,000 people of Italian heritage live in South Australia and for many of them, travelling interstate to access consular services was a difficult option.

Labor MP Grace Portolesi collected more than 10,000 signatures on a petition opposing the closure, which was presented to the Italian government in Rome.

“I am proud that our work has resulted in the decision to close the consulate being reversed,” Portolesi said.

 

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Make your contribution to independent news

A donation of any size to InDaily goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. South Australia needs more than one voice to guide it forward, and we’d truly appreciate your contribution. Please click below to donate to InDaily.

Donate here
Powered by PressPatron

Comments

Show comments Hide comments
Will my comment be published? Read the guidelines.

More News stories

Loading next article