Six early-release shows were announced on Monday for the June 11-26 festival.
The Adelaide Festival Centre says that with the events currently being sold at 50 per cent capacity, two have already almost sold out: artistic director Alan Cumming’s own new show, Alan Cumming is Not Acting His Age, and the Variety Gala, to be hosted by Hans.
Both shows are being presented for one night in the centre’s Festival Theatre, which at full capacity can hold 1950 people.
While limited tickets are still available, the Festival Centre is introducing waitlists in the hope that its venues will be able to operate at full capacity by June, “pending SA Health advice”.
Director of programming and development Liz Hawkins says the early ticket sales prove there is an appetite among South Australians for a return to live performance and “for people to reconnect as a community while supporting our valued artists and the wider arts sector”.
“We are grateful to those who have already purchased tickets and would love to give the opportunity for more people to experience two of our most popular shows, including the king of cabaret himself and our new artistic director, Alan Cumming, in action.
“While we are currently selling shows at 50 per cent audience capacity as advised by SA Health, we are hopeful that we will be able to operate at a greater or full capacity by June next year and release further tickets in coming months.”
Since the COVID-19 shutdown ended and venues were able to reopen at half capacity, many live performance events have been selling out in Adelaide. Last month’s Adelaide Film Festival was also prompted to add extra sessions to meet strong demand for tickets.
The full Adelaide Cabaret Festival program will be released in March next year, with details of all the early-release shows available here.