These oven-baked savoury fritters are easy to make, healthier than the fried alternative, and ideal for a tasty snack or lunch. The recipe comes from Melissa Keane, co-owner with husband Simon of Adelaide fruit and veg delivery business Keane’s Organic Food. It will make six large or 12 small fritters.
Oven-baked zucchini, basil and feta fritters
2 medium zucchini (around 250g)
1/2 large brown onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tbs olive oil
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (around 60g)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (around 100g)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (around 50g)
Small handful of basil leaves
1 certified organic egg
Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Dice the onion, grate the zucchini and finely chop the garlic and sauté in olive oil until soft. Season and set aside to cool slightly.
3. Combine breadcrumbs, grated cheese, crumbled feta, egg, basil and the cooled vegetables in a bowl. Squeeze the mixture; if your breadcrumbs have soaked up the egg and the mixture is not sticking together, add another egg. Cool in the fridge for a few minutes.
4. Using your hands, form the mixture into fritters on baking tray, or use an egg ring to shape the fritters (remove after the fritter has been shaped). Alternatively, place spoonfuls in an oiled mini muffin tray.
5. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, turning once if you’ve placed flat fritters on a baking tray.
6. Serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
Keane’s Organic Food was established in Adelaide in 2008 and has expanded in recent years to service all metropolitan Adelaide areas and parts of the Adelaide Hills.
Make your contribution to independent news
A donation of any size to InDaily goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. South Australia needs more than one voice to guide it forward, and we’d truly appreciate your contribution. Please click below to donate to InDaily.