InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

Soccer

French soccer HQ searched in Blatter probe

Soccer

Authorities searched the offices of France’s soccer federation and seized documents to help a Swiss investigation into former FIFA President Sepp Blatter, Switzerland’s prosecutor said overnight.

Comments
Comments Print article

The operation, carried out a day earlier, was linked to a two million Swiss francs payment to France’s Michel Platini at the heart of proceedings against Blatter, Switzerland’s Office of the Attorney General (OAG) said.

Swiss prosecutors said in September they had opened a criminal investigation into Blatter on suspicion of criminal mismanagement and misappropriation of funds, allegations he dismissed.

Blatter and UEFA President Michel Platini were both banned from soccer for six years over the FIFA payment to Platini in 2011, made with Blatter’s approval for work done a decade earlier. Both have denied any wrongdoing and made no immediate public statements after the latest revelation.

“Documents were seized in connection with the suspected payment of 2 million Swiss francs ($AU2.7 million) that is inter alia the subject of the proceedings,” the Swiss prosecutor said in a statement.

The French financial prosecutor’s office confirmed the search took place, saying documents useful to the Swiss investigation were taken.

Platini’s status in the OAG proceedings remains unchanged, the OAG said. In September, it described Platini as a “person asked to provide information”.

More than 40 individuals and entities, including many former FIFA officials, have also been charged with corruption-related offences in the United States, amid the worst corruption crisis in FIFA’s history.

Swiss Blatter’s 18-year tenure as FIFA president officially ended last month with the election of Gianni Infantino but he remains in the spotlight as he appeals against his FIFA ban.

In an interview with German news agency DPA published on Wednesday, Blatter said he hoped his appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport would be concluded by mid-April.

Swiss authorities are also investigating the awarding of the hosting rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to Russia and Qatar respectively. Both have denied any wrongdoing.

Germany’s hosting of the 2006 World Cup is also under scrutiny over a 6.7 million euros ($A9.8 million) payment to FIFA.

Asked in a separate interview with Swiss newspaper Blick about suggestions money may have changed hands in exchange for votes, Blatter said: “The allegation that FIFA has to be paid in order to get the World Cup is fanciful.”

-Reuters

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to contribute to InDaily.

Contribute here
Powered by PressPatron

Comments

Show comments Hide comments
Will my comment be published? Read the guidelines.

More Soccer stories

Loading next article