As Power president David Koch labelled Sunday’s 86-point capitulation to GWS a “disgrace”, Hinkley was also withering in his assessment of their spluttering start to the season.
Sunday’s thrashing came a fortnight after they lost the Showdown to Adelaide by 58 points.
I agree. A disgrace. Rest assured questions are being asked & answers demanded. Undermines a historic week. https://t.co/6yiRvjLlX6
— david koch (@kochie_online) April 17, 2016
Hinkley says in their membership video promotion for this season that “we will never, ever give up”.
He said on Monday that the Power must be much harder in the contest.
“There are parts of our game (where) we definitely gave in and we didn’t deliver on what we stand for as a football club,” he told 5AA.
“Predominantly this football club, over its long history, has been a club that doesn’t give in… at the moment, we’re in a patch where we’re not delivering on that and we need to get that back straight away.”
Hinkley also admitted that there is no easy fix to Port’s problems.
“I don’t think anyone is an easy fix when you’ve delivered two out of three performances like we have,” he said.
“It’s an honest fix … you make small steps forward again.
“The lucky thing for us is that is round four.
“We acknowledge that people are wanting to give us a whack … and they should, because that’s what we deserve.”
Koch says Port’s 86-point defeat to the Giants on Sunday undermines the buzz from the club’s China announcement.
“A disgrace. Rest assured questions are being asked & answers demanded. Undermines a historic week,” Koch tweeted.
After Sunday’s game, Hinkley rated it as the equal-worst of his four-year tenure.
Port yesterday dissected the heavy loss and midfielder Hamish Hartlett said the reaction was blunt.
“Some guys had some things on their mind which they expressed so that is all you have got to do, be super honest,” he told reporters.
Hartlett said criticism from Koch and others was warranted of Port, now with a two-two win-loss record ahead of a Saturday night meeting with Geelong.
“Kochie will ask questions to the people that he needs to,” he said.
“He hasn’t spoken to us as playing group but we know the pressure and the expectation that he has placed on us just purely for playing for this football club.”
Port dodged tribunal bullets, with Hartlett, Robbie Gray and Charlie Dixon offered $1000 fines for early guilty pleas to indiscretions against the Giants.
Hartlett, at a media conference before his own sanction was announced, said Gray and Dixon had been “put on notice” after their acts.
“We spoke to them in the team meeting, got shown in front of the entire group, and they were told that it wasn’t good enough,” Hartlett said.
“Big Dicko is the one that has got a bit of a fuse I think. So we have just got to keep on top of him.”
Help our journalists uncover the facts
In times like these InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to donate to InDaily.