In a recast of the season announced today, Supercars’ Bathurst finale has been scrapped with the 2020 season to finish under lights at Sydney Motorsport Park in December.
A proposed visit to New Zealand in January has been dumped due to pandemic restrictions, while the event at South Australia’s The Bend circuit in September has also been dropped from the 11-round calendar.
Under the revisions, the September stop will now be at Melbourne’s Sandown circuit, returning it to its traditional pre-Bathurst 1000 position.
The decision prompted a scathing response from the Tailem Bend track’s managing director Sam Shahin.
“Supercars owe a big apology to South Australia, and the many South Australian businesses and tourism operators that rely on event goers for their livelihoods, particularly at a time when their business has already been devastated by COVID restrictions,” he said in a statement.
“Supercars do what’s best for Supercars. We have endeavoured for years to satisfy the great appetite for motorsport in SA. We’ve answered the calls with the best motorsport facility in the world but it seems the power of the Eastern States yet again wins the day, and SA misses out.
“I am greatly disappointed for the greater public of South Australia that have been sold out, sold short of the wonderful spectacle that was to unfold in September.”
He said Supercars “will need to demonstrate how they can retain the confidence of the South Australian public in the future”.
“South Australia’s rich motorsport history is not being afforded the respect it thoroughly deserves.”
Shahin said the implications of the decision were being worked through.
“Event ticket holders will be contacted by Ticketek on how to receive a full refund. The Bend will contact all members and corporate partners regarding next steps in a separate email.”
Supercars released a reorganised calendar in May which extended the 2020 season into February but chief executive Sean Seamer said following discussions with teams and broadcast partners further revisions had been made.
“The calendar announced in May was based on the best information we had at the time,” Seamer said.
“With an eye on 2021, teams and broadcast partners have agreed it is in all parties’ best interests commercially and competitively to finish this year’s campaign in December and start the new season in the New Year.”
The 2020 Supercars championship resumes at Sydney Motorsport Park next weekend.
THE REVISED 2020 SUPERCARS CHAMPIONSHIP
June 27-28 – Sydney SuperSprint, Sydney Motorsport Park
July 18-19 – Winton Motor Raceway, Victoria
August 8-9 – Darwin Triple Crown, Hidden Valley Raceway
August 29-30 – Reid Park Street Circuit, Townsville
September 19-20 – Sandown International Motor Raceway, Victoria
October 8-11 – Bathurst 1000, Mount Panorama
October 31-November 1 – Wanneroo Raceway, Perth
November 21-22 – Symmons Plains Raceway, Tasmania
December 12-13 – Sydney SuperNight, Sydney Motorsport Park
– with AAP
Want to comment?
Send us an email, making it clear which story you’re commenting on and including your full name (required for publication) and phone number (only for verification purposes). Please put “Reader views” in the subject.
We’ll publish the best comments in a regular “Reader Views” post. Your comments can be brief, or we can accept up to 350 words, or thereabouts.
Help our journalists uncover the facts
In times like these InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to donate to InDaily.