The Supercars National Court of Appeal’s dismissal of Whincup’s appeal last night ensured provisional winner Holden’s Will Davison and co-driver Jonathon Webb’s grip on the Peter Brock Trophy tightened.
However, Whincup’s Red Bull Racing (RBR) team have a week to decide whether to take their case to the FIA International Court of Appeal.
Whincup crossed the line first on the October 9 race but was relegated to 11th due to a 15 second time penalty for his role in a late incident that ended the winning hopes of Volvo’s Scott McLaughlin and Holden’s Garth Tander.
Triple Eight Race Engineering entry RBR appealed the severity of the time penalty but it took just 50 minutes for the three-man Supercars Court of Appeal panel to dismiss it.
“Supercars welcomes the decision … in relation to Triple Eight’s appeal of a steward’s decision at the Bathurst 1000,” Supercars CEO James Warburton said.
“We look forward to this weekend’s Gold Coast 600 and an exciting conclusion to the 2016 Supercars championship over the coming months.”
However, it may be another week before Davison and Webb can officially celebrate a Bathurst 1000 win.
RBR have not indicated yet whether they will appeal the decision.
Tander’s Holden teammate James Courtney said there would be a “lot of upset people” if RBR did pull off a Bathurst win via the courts.
“No one wants the Bathurst 1000 decided in a court room,” Courtney said.
“It is like the Melbourne Cup being decided in a court room and not on the track.
“I would feel bad for Jon and Will. That team worked their arses off to get the result.
“There would be a lot of upset people.”
Courtney said no matter what the result, the fans had been let down by the fallout of the controversial Bathurst 1000 race.
“For such an event to end that way and then be dragged through the media and courts, it is not what we are here to do,” he said.
“Even people in the industry are scratching their heads not knowing what is going on or how it is playing out.
“I feel more for the fan base. It has let down them more than anything.”
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.