InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

Sport

Police launch NRL match-fixing probe

Sport

Police have begun an investigation into alleged match fixing in the NRL.

Comments
Comments Print article

NSW Police have confirmed the organised crime squad are looking into matches.

“The Organised Crime Squad is in the early stages of examining information relating to alleged match fixing in the NRL,” a police spokesperson said.

“No further comment is appropriate at this stage.”

The NRL confirmed today they’re cooperating with authorities.

Souths winger Bryson Goodwin says he is surprised to hear that his side’s win over Manly last year is one of two NRL matches being investigated by police for alleged match fixing.

Goodwin says he hadn’t noticed anything untoward about the game, with both teams trying their hardest to win.

Souths won the game 20-8 in round 16 last year, and Manly’s 20-16 loss to Parramatta in round 24 last year is the other match under investigation.

The Australian Crime Commission warned in their February 2013 “darkest day in Australian sport” press conference that criminal figures were possibly infiltrating sporting clubs, with the danger that they could manipulate results.

The current investigation comes just two weeks after three players – Corey Norman, Junior Paulo and James Segeyaro – were officially warned against consorting with criminal figures.

There is no suggestion the current investigation is linked to their warning.

Detective Inspector Wayne Walpole, in charge of the state’s charter against organised crime infiltrating sport, told News Corp Australia on Thursday such infiltration had already begun at clubs.

“I’m not saying corruption or match fixing has happened, but I’m saying the infiltration is there and that infiltration can lead to the compromise of the sports of the athlete,” he said.

The NRL was last hit by match-fixing allegations in 2010 when Ryan Tandy was convicted of trying to fix the early stages of a match between his Canterbury team and North Queensland.

Former Manly winger David Williams was among five players banned for the second-half of the 2014 season after he was caught placing multiple bets on NRL matches, including several which he was involved in.

There was no suggestion of match fixing in Williams’ case.
– AAP

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to contribute to InDaily.

Contribute here
Powered by PressPatron

Comments

Show comments Hide comments
Will my comment be published? Read the guidelines.

More Sport stories

Loading next article