Police minister Joe Szakacs said the “Premier’s Taskforce” on police resourcing held its inaugural meeting on Monday ahead of more regular meetings throughout the year.
The 12-member taskforce is comprised of five senior SA Police officers, including police commissioner Grant Stevens, three Police Association leaders, Department of Premier and Cabinet CEO Damian Walker and Commissioner for Public Sector Employment Erma Ranier.
The group is due to provide recommendations to state cabinet before the end of the year about the future of police resourcing in South Australia.
Szakacs, who also sits on the taskforce, said the first meeting was “incredibly productive”.
“The State Government welcomes the opportunity to have fruitful and constructive discussions about policing needs with SAPOL and PASA,” he said in a statement.
“The Taskforce reiterates the Malinauskas Government’s strong and continued support of our hardworking police and protective security officers, who dedicate themselves to keep us safe.”
The taskforce is weighing up factors such as crime rates, police demand, recruitment policies, population and census data and metropolitan and regional expansion as part of its deliberations.
Police have already eased recruitment rules and cancelled cadet courses this year after a shortfall in new applicants to join the force.
Police commissioner Grant Stevens has also previously said that SAPOL is reaching out to officers who have recently retired or resigned to gauge their interest in joining the force.
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.