InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

Local

Mandatory vaccination for Adelaide Oval spectators

Local

All Adelaide Oval spectators including for the upcoming Ashes Test will need to show proof of double vaccination to enter, the Stadium Management Authority has announced.

Print article

Adelaide Oval CEO Andrew Daniels said from November 23 all spectators over the age of 12 will need to be double vaccinated or they will be denied entry to the venue.

The announcement comes with the day-night Ashes Test between Australia and England due to start in just four weeks on December 16.

SA Health has capped the event at 35,000 spectators.

The first Adelaide Strikers BBL match is scheduled to begin a week earlier on December 9.

Spectators at the events will be required to display their COVID-19 Digital Certificate via their phone or a printed immunisation statement accompanied with identification.

Patrons with an official medical exemption from vaccination will be required to undertake a COVID-19 test 72 hours after the event.

Anyone found to have entered the stadium without providing proof of vaccination will be removed from the venue and banned for three years.

The jab mandate applies to all Adelaide Oval events, the Roofclimb, Adealide Oval Tours and the venue’s suppliers and contractors.

Daniels said the penalties were high because “we want to make sure there’s absolutely no ambiguity about what our requirements are”.

“We will be enforcing this requirement because it is a very important safety and welfare issue,” he said.

“Nobody knows what’s going to happen once the border open, so we must be ahead of the game.”

A double vaccination policy was announced for staff and volunteers at Adelaide Oval earlier this week.

Attendance at the Adelaide Convention Centre, Adelaide Entertainment Centre and Coopers Stadium will also be subject to the same double vaccination requirement for all patrons over the age of 16.

The Adelaide Venue Management Corporation announced this afternoon their mandate will also be effective from November 23.

Zoos SA also followed suit today, announcing a double jab mandate for over-16s at both Adelaide Zoo and Monarto effective from December 1.

Meanwhile, SA Health has approved a crowd of 35,000 to attend the day-night test.

It is the same capacity cap that was in place for the Christmas Pageant last week but higher than the 26,500 that were allowed to attend Port Adelaide’s preliminary final last September.

Mask will still be required at all time other than eating and drinking, with QR codes and a ban on stand up drinking to remain.

“All of the other requirements that were in place during football remain, what we hope is that … once we get past 90 per cent [vaccination] and Health can clearly understand the impact that have occurred in South Australia, that we will see further relaxation,” Daniels said.

Asked whether he expected the spectator vaccination mandate to be in place for the AFL season next year, Daniels said: “I would expect it will be in place for a significant period of time, how long I don’t know.”

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More Local stories

Loading next article