SA Health announced the recall this morning, saying the move was “precautionary” and there had not been any reports of harm or injury to customers.
The recall affects a range of Golden North-branded products as well as some others that it sells under different labels.
SA Health’s director food and controlled drugs, Dr Fay Jenkins, said Golden North was investigating the issue at its production base in Laura and was “working with the regulator Dairysafe to address any issues”.
“Metal fragments can be potentially dangerous and cause injury if ingested,” Jenkins said.
The recall covers the following products:
- Black & Gold 5-litre Vanilla – Best Before 04 Dec 19
- Black & Gold 2-litre Chocolate Choc Chip – Best Before 08 Dec 19 and 12 Dec 19
- Country Style 5-litre Vanilla – Best Before 07 Dec 19, 13 Dec 19 and 14 Dec 19
- Country Style 5-litre Krazy Kolors – Best Before 13 Dec 19
- Foodland 4-litre Neapolitan – Best Before 12 Dec 19
- Golden North 2-litre Vanilla – Best Before 05 Dec 19 and 08 Dec 19
- Golden North 2-litre Honey – Best Before 06 Dec 19
- Simple 2-litre Vanilla – Best Before 07 Dec 19
- Simple 2-litre Neapolitan – Best Before 07 Dec 19
The products have been widely available in South Australia at Coles, Woolworths, Foodland, Supa IGA, IGA, OTR and Golden North’s Cavan offices.
SA Health said anyone who had purchased an affected product should check the best before date. Affected products can be returned for a full refund. Customers can also call 1800 001 572 for more information.
Meanwhile, the South Australian distributor of a Malaysian-made snack targeted at children has recalled one of its products because it contains gluten, despite being labelled gluten-free.
SA Health’s Fay Jenkins said the 120g six-packs of Mamee Monster Rice Sticks vegetable flavour, sold in Coles, had been found to contain gluten during regular product testing by the manufacturer.
The products are distributed by South Australian company ABS Sales and Marketing.
The affected batch has a best before date of November 6, 2018, and would have been purchased from mid-December.
“This product is marketed at children, but anyone who has a gluten allergy or intolerance may have a reaction if the product is consumed,” Jenkins said.
“The product is safe for consumers to eat if they do not have a gluten allergy or intolerance.”
We value local independent journalism. We hope you do too.
InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to become an InDaily supporter.