Nine chief executive Hugh Marks, who will lead the combined company post-December 10, has told staff that 92 people will be affected by the reduced number of roles.
Marks said some staff could be redeployed but that others would leave the media giant, with most decisions to be made by the end of this week.
He gave no detail on where the redundancies will occur and added that some vacant positions will no longer be filled.
“We have spoken to or will speak to those affected as soon as possible so that all employees have clarity and certainty before we commence operations as a combined business,” Marks said in a letter to all Nine and Fairfax staff.
Marks said, however, that no decisions had been made on how best to combine support operations including IT, HR and payroll.
“The focus has been on critical day one needs and we are yet to decide the best path forward for duplicate systems,” Marks said.
“We will stay in touch with the relevant teams as we work through those decisions.”
The Federal Court approved the merger last week.
Marks also outlined the leadership team of the combined business, with Fairfax metro publishing head Chris Janz staying in charge of masthead newspapers such as The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, and The Australian Financial Review.
Allen Williams will continue to lead the community media business, with NZ boss Sinead Boucher reporting to Williams.
Nine director of television Michael Healy will continue in the role, Stan boss Mike Sneesby will stay in place, Domain and Macquarie Media will go unchanged, and Greg Barnes will be chief financial officer.
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.