InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

Business

Mighty Kingdom eyes March launch for first console game

Business

Adelaide independent game developers Mighty Kingdom are set to release their first console title, “Conan Chop Chop”, as the ASX-listed firm talks up a “deep pipeline” of game releases over the coming two years.

Print article

Developed in partnership with Norwegian developers Funcom, Conan Chop Chop is an online multi-player action-adventure “rogue-lite party game” allowing players to explore the Conan the Barbarian universe with “trillions” of weapon, armour and magical charm combinations.

Mighty Kingdom, who’ve previously specialised in mobile games, will release Conan Chop Chop on March 1 for use on PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch and PC.

No price details for the game have been released, but Mighty Kingdom said their first console title will be “priced competitively” with revenues to be split with Funcom.

A limited demo version of the game on Nintendo Switch is being released today.

Mighty Kingdom managing director Phil Mayes said the launch of Conan Chop Chop represented the first milestone in a “deep pipeline of titles that have been scheduled for release in FY22 and FY23”.

“Conan Chop Chop offers a uniquely Mighty Kingdom take on Conan the Barbarian,” he said.

“We’ve created an experience which will appeal to a broad audience with an ESRB E PEGI rating of 7+ suitable for parents and children alike. We can’t wait to share it with the world.”

Mighty Kingdom also this morning announced it has acquired the gaming license for Australian horror film  “Carnifex” from Dancing Road Prodcutions.

The company told the ASX this morning the game will be a narrative-driven experience within the Australian landscape, with a PC and console title in development for FY23.

Founded in 2010 and chaired by former ABC boss Michelle Guthrie, Mighty Kingdom has grown to become Adelaide’s largest independent game developer and is the anchor tenant of the Game Plus development hub on Pirie Street.

The company listed on the ASX in April last year.

Mighty Kingdom also announced last month the finalisation of a two-year co-development partnership with Canadian mobile developers East Side Games.

The Vancouver-based firm is working with Mighty Kingdom on a “soon-to-be announced” mobile game based on a “popular legacy science fiction franchise” set to be released in early 2022.

In total, the two companies say they will deliver four games during their partnership.

“Our work with ESG has been fantastic thus far, and we’re excited to strengthen our relationship,” Mayes said in a statement to the ASX last month.

“Between our combined pools of creativity, experience and technology, we know that with ESG, we’ll deliver rich experiences to players for years to come – both original stories, and well-known universes.”

Mighty Kingdom has a share price of $0.14 and a market capitalisation of about $25 million.

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More Business stories

Loading next article