InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

The Killers to headline Adelaide 500 entertainment

News

Las Vegas rock band The Killers will headline the rebooted Adelaide 500 Supercars race in December, with local advanced technology company VALO securing the event’s naming rights.

Print article

Premier Peter Malinauskas announced the three-night concert line-up at the VALO Adelaide 500’s official launch today, describing it as a “star-studded list of local, national and global musical acts”.

Beginning Friday December 2, the first after-race concert will feature local rock act Teenage Joans and Australian artists Lime Cordiale, The Presets, and Baker Boy.

Veteran rockers Jimmy Barnes, Icehouse and Noiseworks will front Saturday night’s show, ahead of the final Sunday night concert to be headlined by American rock group The Killers and a yet-to-be-announced special guest.

The Killers, known for hits such as “Mr. Brightside” and “When You Were Young”, haven’t performed in Australia since their 2018 arena tour.

Six additional local acts will be announced in the coming weeks as part of a Music SA “Bands on Track” series.

“There really is something here for everybody, from the global pulling power of The Killers, to Australian rock legends such as Barnsey to local rising stars such as Teenage Joans,” Malinauskas said.

“The event can’t just come back – the event has to come back bigger and better than it ever has been before.

“We have to make sure that this really is the pinnacle of motorsport entertainment in the southern hemisphere.”

As well as Supercars, the VALO Adelaide 500 will also feature the Dunlop Super2 Series, Fanatec GT World Challenge Australia, Gulf Western Oil Touring Car Masters and S5000 Tasman Series.

The state government says the December 1-4 race will be “the most affordable in a decade”, with ticket prices starting at $29 for a Thursday adult general admission pass.

General admission ticket sales open today via the Ticketek website, with grandstand tickets to open for pre-sale in the coming days.

The Adelaide 500 was previously known as the Clipsal 500 and later Superloop 500 before it was scrapped by the former Marshall Government in 2020 following advice from the SA Tourism Commission.

Returning the race to Victoria Park was a Labor election commitment, with tenders currently open to secure the services and infrastructure needed to run the event.

Adelaide 500 chief executive Mark Warren said it was “great to have a growing local business” such as VALO as the naming rights sponsor for the rebooted event.

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]
[class^="wpforms-"]