Former Supreme Court judge Brian Martin QC was earlier this month appointed to head an investigation into the operations of the SkyCity Adelaide casino “following systemic concerns raised by inquiries into jurisdictions interstate”.
Liquor and Gambling Commissioner Dini Soulio said on July 4 that the independent probe would “ensure that the way that SkyCity operates demonstrates that the licensee is still suitable to hold the casino licence in South Australia”.
It would also examine “whether SkyCity Entertainment Group Limited is suitable to be a close associate of SkyCity Adelaide”. SkyCity Entertainment Group is the Adelaide casino’s New Zealand-based owner.
In a statement to the ASX when the inquiry was announced, SkyCity Entertainment Group said it would “fully cooperate with the review and any requests for information and documents”.
Information about the inquiry’s terms of reference and how to make a submission can be found here.
Submissions must be made by August 10. Martin will hand down his findings and recommendations on February 1 next year.
The casino is already subject to a separate probe from the federal government’s financial crimes watchdog for potential serious non-compliance with anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing laws.
That enforcement investigation, undertaken by the Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC), was announced in June last year and is yet to reach a conclusion.
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.