InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

Adelaide 500 locked in as series final for five years

News

The Malinauskas Government has locked in the rebooted Adelaide 500 as the grand finale to the Supercars Championship until 2026.

Print article

Premier Peter Malinauskas signed the agreement alongside the head of the SA Motorsport Board and Supercars Australia representatives in Adelaide this morning.

The agreement secures the return of the Adelaide 500 over the next five years, with the first event to be held this year at Victoria Park between December 1-4.

Supercars Australia has also agreed to make the Adelaide 500 the final race of its championship, with an end of season gala awards night to follow each year’s event.

“This is an historic moment for motorsport in South Australia – not only are we locking in the event’s return this year, but we are also securing the race for at least the next five years,” Malinauskas said. 

“I have every confidence hosting the final race in the Supercars Championship will become an integral part of the sport’s calendar in the same way the season opener in Adelaide used to be.

“Coupled with hosting the end of season gala awards night, this promises to be a spectacular end of the year leading into the Christmas period.”

The Adelaide 500 – previously known as “Clipsal 500” – was scrapped by the former Marshall Government in 2020 following advice from the SA Tourism Commission.

Returning the race to Victoria Park was a Labor election commitment, with tenders currently open to secure the services and infrastructure needed to run the event.

The state budget included $18 million to run this year’s event, with an additional $3 million set aside to buy back infrastructure sold off by the former government.

Supercars Australia CEO Shane Howard described the race as a “spectacular event that showcases South Australia to a huge national and international audience”.

“I want to thank Premier Malinauskas, the South Australian Government, (SA Motorsport Board CEO) Mark Warren and the SA Motorsport Board for their unwavering support and reviving this event to recreate what will be five incredible years of racing in Adelaide,” he said.

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article