InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

774 new SA cases, venue and household numbers cut

News

South Australia has posted a record new 774 COVID-19 infections with the vast majority being the Omicron variant, prompting the Marshall Govermnent to wind back venue capacity and slash household gatherings from 30 to a maximum of 10 people.

Print article

Premier Steven Marshall announced the new cases at a press conference on Sunday afternoon,  saying authorities had to act quickly to head off new daily infections climbing into the thousands over the coming days and weeks.

“It will overwhelm our health systems right across the country if we don’t take action,” he said.

“We’ve got to swing into action to save lives.”

Indoor hospitality capacity will change to a one person per four square metre rule while outdoor activities will be allowed one person for every two square metres.

Gyms will be restricted to one person for every seven square metres.

Family gatherings will be reduced from 30 to 10 people.

“There is no doubt this is going to be a very tough time for South Australia,” Marshall said.

People arriving from interstate won’t need to take a PCR test before arriving but are being told to take a rapid antigen test after entering SA.

Marshall rule out ruled out sending the state back into lockdown at this stage.

“It’s not our intention to have a lockdown in SA but it is our intention to significantly reduce mobility at this time until we can get more shots into the arms of South Australians,” he said.

Chief Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said three jabs were needed to achieve the same level of protection against Omicron as two jabs against Delta.

“What we need to do now is put everything, every effort we can in our state to get the third dose into everybody as quickly as possible,” she said.

The time frame for booster shots will be brought forward on January 4 to four months after your second dose and will then be brought down again on January 31 to three months.

The early data indicated around 84 per cent of the state’s new cases were vaccinated and 16 per cent were unvaccinated, which mirrors the state’s vaccination rate.

Of the three people in intensive care, one is not fully vaccinated and two are. The remaining seven people in the state’s COVID-19 ward – not in intensive care – are not vaccinated.

“You can see a bit of a differential,” Spurrier said.

“Even though these are small numbers (of) people that have been hospitalised, there is a high representation of people that are not vaccinated.”

Spurrier said there had been exposure from a positive case in 40 aged care facilities and transmission in a further eight.

There are 35 aged care staff and 16 residents who have contracted the virus.

Thirty two disability care sites have been exposed and four additional sites have experienced transmission. One is an Indigenous-specific site.

Forty staff and their disability care clients have contracted the virus.

There have also been exposures at 21 hospitals and four hospitals have experienced transmission.

“As we start to see these additional cases, particularly in vulnerable settings for us in SA, we will become much more concerned,” Spurrier said.

There were almost 20,700 tests taken on Christmas Day.

-with AAP

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article