InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

Russell Ebert to be farewelled at state funeral

News

A state funeral will be held for Port Adelaide SANFL champion Russell Ebert, who died on Friday.

Print article

Premier Steven Marshall told reporters a short time ago that the funeral would be held outdoors, but details including the date were yet to be confirmed.

He said he spoke to chief public health officer Professor Nicola Spurrier this morning to discuss the event’s COVID-management plan.

“There still will need to be precautions in place, but it is an outdoor event,” he said.

“There will be invitations issued – the full details of that I’d rather wait for the family to finalise all of their plans rather than pre-empting it.

“But I think it’s fair to say there will be very many people interested in that state funeral.”

Ebert was the record winner of four Magarey Medals and died on Friday aged 72 after a battle with leukemia.

In an extraordinary career centred at the Port Adelaide Football Club, he played a club record 392 games and won three premierships and six best and fairest awards, and was last month elevated to legend status in the South Australian Sport Hall of Fame.

Marshall said Ebert made an “extraordinary contribution” to South Australia as both a football player and as a member of the community.

“I think there will be a lot of people that are wanting to get along to that state funeral,” he said.

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article