The traditional street parade and the Avalon Airshow were both canned yesterday after Victoria recorded 20 new local cases of COVID-19, all of which were linked to known outbreaks although only five were in quarantine throughout their infectious period.
Last year’s parade was also scrapped due to a Melbourne lockdown, with the Grand Final played in Brisbane.
Late on Tuesday night the health department said a confirmed case of COVID-19 had been found to be connected to a Melbourne paediatric specialist clinic.
The department said it was investigating “a potential exposure at private medical rooms” located at 48 Flemington Road, on Monday August 9, with investigations underway into that person’s movements.
However, it was not confirmed whether the case worked at the clinic or was a patient.
Regional Victoria was released from its lockdown at midnight on Monday, however Greater Melbourne remains under stay-at-home rules until at least 8pm Thursday.
Authorities have refused to rule out an extension to the lockdown, with Health Minister Martin Foley saying decisions were being made on an “hour-by-hour basis”.
The exposure site list in the state grew to more than 270, including a second housing tower in Flemington.
Of greatest concern to authorities is Caroline Springs Square Shopping Centre, where half of Tuesday’s new cases contracted the virus.
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.