InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

Crowd caps, pre-purchased tickets likely for Royal Adelaide Show return

News

Royal Adelaide Show organisers say the event will go ahead in September after being cancelled by the pandemic last year – but a cap on crowd numbers is likely, along with a raft of changes to ensure social distancing.

Print article

Show organisers say they are currently working with SA Health to deliver a COVID-safe event from September 4 to 12.

Last year’s cancellation was just the fifth in the event’s 181-year history, with others prompted by war, the Victorian Gold Rush and the Spanish Flu pandemic.

The Royal Adelaide Show normally attracts up to 500,000 people each year, with between 50,000 to 80,000 people attending each day.

A Royal Adelaide Show spokesperson told InDaily that planning was underway for this year’s event and expressions of interest were sought from carnival operators, stallholders and entertainment providers as well as corporate partners, commercial exhibitors and competition sponsors.

“Our objective is to bring back the fun and excitement of the Show for the South Australian community, working closely with SA Health for a COVID-safe event,” the spokesperson said.

But the event could look different this year, with consideration of wider aisles to allow social distancing, traffic control in enclosed areas and increased hygiene measures.

Organisers say they are also considering making it mandatory for patrons to purchase tickets in advance for specific days and to impose an overall cap on how many tickets can be sold each day.

The ticket cap was still subject to discussions, with organisers yet to determine how many people could be admitted each day.

At this stage, organisers intent to pre-sell tickets online and also at IGA and Foodland stores.

“While the favourites of the Show will return, there will be some changes,” the spokesperson said.

‘Updates will be provided to the public as they are available.”

Sydney’s Royal Easter Show this year capped crowds at 60,000 per day to maintain social distancing – about half of the expected turnout before COVID-19.

That show also redesigned its set-up to support single-directional flow of crowds.

InDaily reported yesterday that the Christmas Pageant could remain a ticketed event until 2024, with the State Government undecided about whether it is safe to return the event to its traditional street parade format due to the ongoing pandemic.

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to contribute to InDaily.

Contribute here
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article