InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

Two new SA cases but no changes to restrictions

News

South Australia has two new COVID-19 cases, but the government says there will be no resulting tightening of restrictions due to the state’s high testing uptake.

Print article

SA’s chief public health officer Professor Nicola Spurrier said the two people, who arrived in Adelaide on Tuesday on separate repatriation flights, are currently quarantining in a medi-hotel and are in a stable condition.

The pair – including a woman in her 20s and a man in his 50s – are not related and are not isolating with any family.

They were tested on Wednesday, with SA Health receiving the results yesterday afternoon.

Spurrier said she was “not worried” about the cases because the pair were immediately transferred to a medi-hotel after arriving in SA.

“They will be continued to be looked after in the hotel using the medi-hotel model that has been very successful,” she said.

“I have said to people before that we should expect a small number of cases from these repatriation flights and this is indeed the case today.

“These are not cases that are causing us concern.”

The two new infections take the number of active cases in SA to 10, with 457 reported since the start of the pandemic.

Meanwhile, Premier Steven Marshall said this morning’s transition committee meeting decided to not make any changes to restrictions in the state.

It comes after the Government imposed a cap of ten people at home gatherings and enforced seated-only consumption of alcohol at licensed venues earlier this week.

“I do emphasise that we are constantly looking at the level of restrictions that we have in place in South Australia, making sure that they’re commensurate with the risk,” Marshall said.

“We know that it is a worrying risk just directly across our border and that group – the transition committee – is looking at issues like density, like home gatherings, churches, the fitness sector, borders and of course the aged care facilities.”

Marshall said the Government was “very, very impressed” with the number of people who were getting tested for coronavirus after developing symptoms.

“Suffice to say we’re absolutely delighted,” he said.

“We’re also delighted with the compliance checks that are being done with people who are required to be in isolation.”

Want to comment?

Send us an email, making it clear which story you’re commenting on and including your full name (required for publication) and phone number (only for verification purposes). Please put “Reader views” in the subject.

We’ll publish the best comments in a regular “Reader Views” post. Your comments can be brief, or we can accept up to 350 words, or thereabouts.

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Help our journalists uncover the facts

In times like these InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to donate to InDaily.

Donate here
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article