Stevens told ABC Radio Adelaide this morning South Australia was still aiming to open its border to New South Wales on July 20, but the move would be subject to “considerable discussions” at tomorrow morning’s transition committee meeting.
Premier Steven Marshall said there was now a “question mark” over lifting the NSW/ACT border on July 20.
He said the state’s transition committee would “be looking at their infections very carefully” tomorrow and it would not lift the border restrictions if it was judged to be unsafe.
It comes after New South Wales recorded 14 new COVID-19 cases as of 8pm on Sunday.
Four are in hotel quarantine, two are NSW residents who caught the virus in Victoria and eight linked to the Crossroads Hotel – a popular Hume Highway stop for freight drivers who transport essential supplies across the country.
Authorities later on Monday confirmed an additional seven cases had been reported up to midday – all linked to the Crossroads Hotel.
The Crossroads Hotel cluster is now linked to at least 20 COVID-19 cases.
All patrons of the Casula pub, who entered from July 3 to 10, must now self-isolate and are being urged to get tested as a precaution.
The outbreak has prompted the closure of another venue for cleaning, as one of those infected attended Picton Hotel on July 4, 9 and 10.
Stevens described the situation as “very concerning” as the cluster could make its way to South Australia.
“One thing that we can just not stop is the movement of freight into and out of South Australia,” he said.
“We are aiming for the 20th of July (border opening with New South Wales) but we have also had the caveat that we won’t make any decisions that will put people at risk.
“I regret the fact that we can not be more specific – there’s no simple answer to this.
“We are doing as much as we can to make decisions as quickly as possible.”
Deputy chief medical officer Michael Kidd on Monday said there was concern that the hotel was used by freight drivers who transported essential supplies across the country.
Meanwhile, Stevens said he didn’t think there would be any “barrier” preventing next Monday night’s scheduled AFL match between the Crows and St Kilda from taking place at Adelaide Oval.
SA Police undertook 111 COVID-19 compliance checks at venues over the weekend, with 10 found not to have appropriate plans in place.
Two businesses – a hostel on Waymouth Street and a Currie Street nightclub – were both fined $5060.
Stevens said four people from Victoria were removed from the hostel and placed into supervised quarantine for 14 days.
Meanwhile, South Australia will start charging returning overseas travellers $3000 to cover some of the costs of their 14-day mandatory quarantine in SA hotels.
Premier Steven Marshall said this afternoon the charge would be introduced from Saturday morning, with the “first individual” charged $3000, their partner $1000 and children $500.
He said the state was still keen to help with the national repatriation program, but SA taxpayers “will not be footing the bill going forward”.
“The reality is that people have had plenty of time to get back to Australia,” he said.
“Anybody coming in from overseas will be required to do 14 days of supervised, mandatory quarantine in a hotel and now they’ll be getting a charge for it.”
– with AAP
Want to comment?
Send us an email, making it clear which story you’re commenting on and including your full name (required for publication) and phone number (only for verification purposes). Please put “Reader views” in the subject.
We’ll publish the best comments in a regular “Reader Views” post. Your comments can be brief, or we can accept up to 350 words, or thereabouts.
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.