InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

Hundreds fly into Adelaide from India, quarantine at city hotel

News

The first of two flights bringing hundreds of Australian citizens home from India has landed in Adelaide, with SA police to ensure none leave the city hotel where they will spend 14 days in quarantine.

Print article

The Lion Air flight landed at Adelaide Airport this morning, carrying more than 370 passengers after leaving the southern Indian city of Chennai.

Passengers were met by police and SA Health officials and taken in buses to the Pullman hotel at Hindmarsh Square, where they will be in held quarantine for 14 days.

Photo: Tony Lewis/InDaily

Another flight bringing hundreds more residents home from Mumbai will arrive in Adelaide on Tuesday.

SA Health chief public health officer Nicola Spurrier said the arrivals had been tested after they disembarked and will be monitored daily for symptoms.

She said three people had been required hospitalisation – one of whom had since been cleared and the other two with pre-existing conditions not linked top COVID-19.

“There was no-one at all during that initial screening that had any symptoms consistent with COVID-19,” she told reporters on Monday.

“Given the excellent results we’ve seen in terms of limiting the spread of the virus in South Australia, we’re taking the security of these people extremely seriously,” Stevens said.

Premier Steven Marshall said he felt “very proud that SA is playing our part in this national repatriation mission”.

Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said none of the passengers would be allowed to leave the hotel during their quarantine, and staff would wear protective equipment at all times.

“Just a few weeks ago, people’s mindset around the significance of this virus was probably less developed than it was now and we, as a state, have had the opportunity to learn from the experiences of other jurisdictions which we are very grateful for,” he told ABC Radio Adelaide.

“Obviously the logistics and planning that has gone into receiving these 370-odd passengers today, and another cohort tomorrow, is well advanced and I am very confident we will eliminate any risk of these passengers potentially undoing the good work that has been done in South Australia in restricting this virus.”

No new cases of coronavirus were recorded in the state over the weekend or on Monday despite a testing blitz in recent days.

The total remains at 435 after a third consecutive day of no new cases.

-with AAP

Want to comment?

Send us an email, making it clear which story you’re commenting on and including your full name (required for publication) and phone number (only for verification purposes). Please put “Reader views” in the subject.

We’ll publish the best comments in a regular “Reader Views” post. Your comments can be brief, or we can accept up to 350 words, or thereabouts.

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Help our journalists uncover the facts

In times like these InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to donate to InDaily.

Donate here
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article