InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism


"Dangerous situation" in Hong Kong as protests, clashes worsen


A general strike in Hong Kong descended into citywide mayhem as defiant protesters started fires outside police stations and hurled bricks and eggs at officers.

Print article

After disrupting traffic early on Monday, they filled public parks and squares in several districts, refusing to disperse even as police repeatedly fired tear gas and rubber bullets from above.

While previous large rallies over the past two months of anti-government protests have generally been held on weekends, Monday’s strike paralysed city operations in an effort to draw more attention to the movement’s demands.

Hong Kong is on “the verge of a very dangerous situation”, said Chief Executive Carrie Lam, who insisted that she has no plans to resign.

Lam said at a news conference that the protests had “ulterior motives” that threaten Hong Kong’s prosperity and security.

“I don’t think at this point in time, resignation of myself or some of my colleagues would provide a better solution,” she said.

Protesters challenged law enforcement in at least eight districts, responding to continuous rounds of tear gas with practised swiftness.

They lobbed the canisters back at police and yelled invectives. When police arrived, the protesters clacked their umbrellas together and pounded on metal street signs, daring the officers to move closer.

“Gangsters!” they jeered at the riot police. “Reclaim Hong Kong, revolution of our time.”

In one neighbourhood after nightfall, a band of men wielding wooden poles charged protesters from behind a thin road lane divider.

The demonstrators fought back by throwing traffic cones, metal barricades and rods.

Hong Kong media also reported a brawl in a different district where men with knives slashed at protesters.

In another neighbourhood, demonstrators besieged police headquarters in what they called a “flash mob”. They threw bricks and flaming bottles at the building before rapidly retreating.

The violence followed a day of striking that sparked bedlam throughout the city. Protesters started early, with the aim of hampering the morning rush hour.

In the subway, they blocked train and platform doors, activated emergency alarms and threw objects on to the tracks.

A high number of strikers in the airline industry also led to more than 77 flight cancellations, according to the airport authority.

“Too much,” said 52-year-old John Chan, whose flight to Singapore was cancelled. “Why do they have to create trouble for people not involved in their cause? Hong Kong is sinking. The government, police and protest people have to stop fighting and give us a break.”


Want to comment?

Send us an email, making it clear which story you’re commenting on and including your full name (required for publication) and phone number (only for verification purposes). Please put “Reader views” in the subject.

We’ll publish the best comments in a regular “Reader Views” post. Your comments can be brief, or we can accept up to 350 words, or thereabouts.

InDaily has changed the way we receive comments. Go here for an explanation.

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article