InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism


George Pell sentenced to six years in prison for child abuse


George Pell, Australia’s most senior Catholic, has been sentenced to six years jail for sexually abusing two choirboys while he was the Archbishop of Melbourne in the late 1990s.

Print article

Pell will be eligible for parole after three years and eight months, with 14 days served on remand taken into account.

Once a trusted advisor to Pope Francis, Pell stared ahead calmly in the dock at the County Court of Victoria as Chief Judge Peter Kidd passed sentence this morning.

Pell was found guilty in December of five historical child sex offences against two choirboys, then-aged 13 and 12, at St Patrick’s Cathedral in East Melbourne.

Judge Kidd found that Pell had gravely abused his authority as an Archbishop, saying his offending was “breathtakingly arrogant.”

Describing the first attack, after Pell caught the boys drinking wine after mass Kidd said it was “brazen and forced.”

As part of his sentence, Pell was ordered to be registered as a sexual offender for the rest of his life.

The 77-year-old – brought into the dock surrounded by five guards – was without his clerical collar for the first time in 50 years as he heard his sentence.

Pell, who has spent the last two weeks behind bars on remand, was wearing a black shirt with the top buttons undone, and appeared to have lost weight while in jail.

In the verdict, delivered with cameras allowed in the courtroom and broadcast live around the world, Judge Kidd described Pell’s crime as “callous”.

“Your offending encompassed two distinct episodes over a month apart,” he said.

“In my view, the first episode in the priest’s sacristy involved a brazen and forceful sexual attack on the two victims.

“The acts were sexually graphic. Both victims were visibly and audibly distressed during this offending.”

Judge Kidd said there was no evidence of moral contrition from Pell over the abuse.

The evidence of Pell’s abuse came from that of a former choirboy, who was the victim of two assaults. Pell’s other victim died of a heroin overdose in 2014 and never reported his rape.

The court heard that in 1996, Pell caught the pair drinking altar wine in the priest’s sacristy after Sunday mass, before subjecting both to sexual abuse.

A second rape of the witness occurred later the same year.

A suppression order on Pell’s trial was issued by the chief judge on June 25, last year to prevent “a real and substantial risk of prejudice to the proper administration of justice”.

He was granted bail after his conviction because he required knee surgery in Sydney.

Pell’s trial has gripped much of the world, and as such, Kidd made the rare decision to allow a film crew into the room.

Pell continues to deny any wrongdoing, and the Court of Appeal will consider a legal challenge in June.

This article was first published by The New Daily


Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article