Wilson was handed a one year custodial sentence in July for concealing abuse by pedophile priest James Fletcher in the NSW Hunter region.
But magistrate Robert Stone today told Newcastle Local Court the 67-year-old was suitable for home detention following an assessment by authorities – a decision that sparked angry scenes after the hearing.
Stone ordered Wilson be detained at his sister’s house near Newcastle for at least six months, when he’ll be eligible for parole.
He said Wilson’s detention would be under strict supervision and he would have to wear a tracking device as required.
Wilson, who was forced to resign as Archbishop of Adelaide after becoming the most senior Catholic clergyman in the world to be convicted of concealing child sex abuse, showed no emotion when the decision was handed down.
His lawyer Ian Temby QC told the court Wilson planned to lodge an appeal against his conviction today but would not be applying for bail.
Outside court, Wilson was confronted by Peter Gogarty – one of Fletcher’s victims.
He repeatedly asked the clergyman if he would apologise as he was led to a waiting car but was ignored.
“I’m beside myself about this,” Gogarty told reporters.
“I’m still here, still hurting … and not a single, solitary word to say sorry.”
Gogarty said Wilson’s home detention was too lenient, labelling it a six-month “holiday” at his sister’s home.
Sex Abuse victim Peter Gogarty confronted Philip Wilson outside court. Another Catholic Church offical told him “I haven’t got time for rubbish like you, mate”. Exchange caught on camera. @9newsaus @9NewsAdel pic.twitter.com/OsZO04G9w8
— Jarrad Brevi (@JarradBrevi9) August 14, 2018
Dramatic scenes at Newcastle Court. One of Philip Wilson’s entourage just called abuse survivor Peter Gogarty “rubbish” and asked why he didn’t come forward 40 years ago. Mr Gogarty said he did, to Philip Wilson.
— Ben Millington (@bmillington) August 14, 2018
“I haven’t got time for rubbish like you.” A supporter of former Catholic Archbishop Philip Wilson has shocked church abuse victim Peter Gogarty outside Newcastle Local Court today. Report on 7 News at 6pm. #7News pic.twitter.com/DO9l3Ix4Sy
— 7 News Sydney (@7NewsSydney) August 14, 2018
Stone found Wilson guilty in May during a landmark magistrate-only trial of failing to go to the police to report the repeated abuse of two altar boys by Fletcher.
Fletcher was found guilty of child sexual abuse in 2004 and died in jail of a stroke in 2006.
Wilson for two months refused to quit following his conviction, claiming he wanted to wait for the outcome of his appeal.
But under mounting pressure from child abuse victims and Catholic priests to resign, and calls from Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull for the Pope to sack him, Wilson offered up his resignation as a ”catalyst to heal pain and distress”.
Stone found Wilson had shown no remorse or contrition for the cover-up and his primary motive had been to protect the Catholic Church.
The magistrate accepted Wilson was unlikely to re-offend but had to serve a period of detention to act as a deterrence to others.
He said given Wilson’s age, mental and physical conditions and the fact he had previously been of good character, a home detention order was an adequate punishment.
In a statement today, the Adelaide Archdiocese said Bishop Greg O’Kelly would remain in charge while the search for a new Archbishop continued.
O’Kelly said he was “keeping Archbishop Wilson in his prayers as he formally commences this stage in his life, while also remembering the victims and survivors of abuse in the Church”.
– with AAP
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.