InDaily

Adelaide's independent news

Support

ICAC examines SafeWork's investigation of Royal Adelaide Show death

News

The Independent Commissioner Against Corruption has confirmed he is examining SafeWork SA’s investigation into the fatal Airmaxx 360 Royal Adelaide Show ride, hours after the workplace watchdog withdrew its prosecution over the death.

Print article

SafeWork SA today announced it had dropped its prosecution of inspection company Safe Is Safe in connection with the death of eight-year-old Adelene Leong, who was killed when she was flung off the Airmaxx 360 ride at the 2014 Royal Adelaide Show.

“Today, SafeWork SA withdrew charges against inspection company Safe Is Safe in connection to the fatal accident at the 2014 Royal Adelaide Show involving the Airmaxx 360 ride,” the work safety watchdog said in a statement released just after midday.

“This decision was made after new information came to light, which meant there was no longer a reasonable prospect of conviction.

“SafeWork SA has also referred this new information to the Office for Public Integrity. No further comment or information can be provided at this stage.”

Minutes later, Independent Commissioner Against Corruption Bruce Lander took the unusual step of revealing an investigation was underway into SafeWork’s handling of the case.

“Ordinarily I would not confirm or deny a complaint or a report had been made to the Office of Public Integrity or whether a particular investigation was underway,” Lander said in a statement.

“However, having regard to the public interest in the prosecution arising out of the SafeWork investigation, and the fact that the prosecution was withdrawn this morning, I felt that it was in the public interest to confirm that an investigation into the matter is underway.”

The statement says SafeWork made a report about the matter to the Office for Public Integrity on Monday.

“The report was assessed by the Office for Public Integrity and referred to me for consideration,” Lander said.

“I have since commenced an investigation into the SafeWork investigation and the evidence that was obtained.”

Both SafeWork and Lander said they would not offer further comment.

We value local independent journalism. We hope you do too.

InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to become an InDaily supporter.

Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article