InDaily InDaily

Support independent Journalism Donate Subscribe
Support independent journalism

News

Killed RAH site worker 'didn't feel safe'

News

A man killed during the construction of the new Royal Adelaide Hospital had been nervous about the work, an inquest into his death has heard.

Print article

Jorge Castillo-Riffo, 54, was fatally crushed while working on a scissor lift at the site in November, 2014.

In her opening statement on Monday, assisting counsel Kathryn Waite said Castillo-Riffo was found trapped between the lift and a wall while he was “patching” the third-floor slab.

She said Castillo-Riffo’s partner will give evidence that he had been nervous and did not feel safe undertaking the work.

Castillo-Riffo, a worker described by Waite as experienced and capable, was working alone and was not found for up to 15 minutes following the incident.

He suffered a serious brain injury due to lack of blood flow and died in hospital the following day.

Waite said she hoped Castillo-Riffo had not died because work to complete the behind-schedule project had been rushed and corners had been cut.

“How is it, in this day and age, with all we know about risk analysis and safety in the workplace, that we still have people like Mr Castillo-Riffo who never get to go home from work?” she asked.

– AAP

Make a comment View comment guidelines

Local News Matters

Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.

Donate today
Powered by PressPatron

More News stories

Loading next article