A poll by Essential Research shows a substantial minority of Australians believe:
- Heaven and hell both exist as destinations after life (40%)
- Angels and demons are active in the world (39%)
- Ghosts exist and can influence their will on the living (35%)
- Extra-terrestrials have visited the earth (34%)
- The story of creation in the book of Genesis is a true account of the first man and woman (34%)
A majority do not believe that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by scientists (68%), that the vibrations from wind farms cause long-term damage to health (58%), nor that vaccines can cause autism (70%).
The Melbourne-based polling and communications firm included the questions in their weekly online panel-based survey which, on this occasion, included responses from 1075 Australians. Methodology for the poll can be found here.