More than 270 cases of Salmonella Saintpaul have been confirmed in SA since December last year, with 47 people hospitalised.
SA usually has only 15 to 20 cases of the disease each year.
The rise was originally linked to machinery at sprout producer Star Tu and while the company was later given the all-clear, Salmonella has again been detected in sprouts taken from retailers.
SA Health spokesman Paddy Phillips says consumers are advised to throw out or return any sprouts they have.
A recall notice has also been issued for Star Tu sprouts sold both loose and in plastic bags along with sprouts sold by a separate packager, Sunshine Sprouts.
The sprouts have been sold through both major supermarkets and smaller grocers and have also been used by food service businesses such as restaurants and cafes.
Phillips said while the machinery at the Star Tu plant was thoroughly cleaned and consumers were given the all-clear to resume eating sprouts, the discovery of Salmonella Saintpaul in retail samples on Wednesday had prompted the warning to be reinstated.
“Five sealed bags produced by Star Tu were contaminated with Salmonella and given this new evidence we have issued this factory with an order to recall and stop selling,” he said.
Local News Matters
Media diversity is under threat in Australia – nowhere more so than in South Australia. The state needs more than one voice to guide it forward and you can help with a donation of any size to InDaily. Your contribution goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. Please click below to help InDaily continue to uncover the facts.