InDaily

Adelaide's independent news

Support

Trump last man standing as Kasich quits

News

Ohio governor John Kasich, the last man standing in Donald Trump’s path to the Republican nomination, has ended his campaign.

Comments
Comments Print article

Speaking to reporters in Ohio on Wednesday, Kasich didn’t outline his reasons for ending his bid or mention Trump.

Instead, he offered an emotional recount of his exchanges with voters on and renewed his call for Americans to spend more time helping one another.

He acknowledged it was a message that never seemed to resonate.

“The spirit, the essence of America lies in the hearts and souls of us,” he said. “Some missed this message. It wasn’t sexy, it wasn’t a great soundbite.”

Despite his inability to win any contests beyond Ohio, Kasich held on to become the last candidate battling Trump. His decision to end his campaign comes a day after his other remaining rival, Texas senator Ted Cruz, announced he was suspending his campaign.

Kasich was visibly emotional as he thanked his family and staff.

“Nobody has ever done more with less in the history of politics,” he said.

Earlier on Wednesday, Trump told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, “I think John’s doing the right thing…. I think John will be very helpful with Ohio, even as governor,” he said in a clip of the interview.

Trump stressed that he’s had a good relationship with the Ohio governor and says he’s someone the billionaire is willing to consider as his vice president.

“I would be interested in vetting John,” he said.

Touting his two terms as governor and 18 years in congress, Kasich failed to gain traction with GOP voters in a race dominated by Trump’s ability to seize on the electorate’s anger and disdain of political insiders.

Although Kasich tried to pitch himself as the best Republican to take on Hillary Clinton, the weight of the non-Trump never got behind him.

Viewed widely as a longshot candidate from the start, Kasich’s popularity shot up after his strong second-place finish in New Hampshire’s primary in early February.

But from the South to the Midwest, many voters were captivated by his boisterous rivals, and his efforts to cast himself as a nicer alternative fell short.

Kasich had pledged to take his campaign all the way to the Republican convention in Cleveland this (northern) summer, but his losses in almost all the primaries left him struggling to generate the money and resources needed to sustain a long-term bid.

In an extraordinary effort to send the race into a contested convention, Kasich and Cruz forged an alliance in late April, going to the states where they were most likely to succeed and deprive Trump the delegates needed to reach the nomination.

As the race grew increasingly nasty on both sides, Kasich largely maintained his vow not to go negative or, as he told voters to “take the low road to the highest office in the land”.

He did eventually launch a series of blistering criticisms against Trump’s candidacy, blasting the businessman for creating a “toxic” environment and preying on people’s fears.

“It seems as though the attention goes to those who call names,” Kasich lamented to reporters in March. “I refused to do it this entire campaign, even it meant that I would be ignored and even if it meant that I would lose.”

Kasich, 63, plans to return to Ohio, where his second term as governor ends in 2018.

“As I suspend my campaign today, I have renewed faith, deeper faith, that the Lord will show me the way forward and fulfil the purpose of my life,” he said.

AP

We value local independent journalism. We hope you do too.

InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to become an InDaily supporter.

Powered by PressPatron

Comments

Show comments Hide comments
Will my comment be published? Read the guidelines.

More News stories

Loading next article

Subscribe to InDaily – it’s free!

South Australia’s locally owned, independent source of digital news.

Subscribe now and go in the monthly draw* for your chance to WIN a $100 Foodland voucher!

Subscribe free here

*Terms and conditions apply

Welcome back!

Did you know it’s FREE to subscribe?

Subscribe now and go in the monthly draw* for your chance to WIN a $100 voucher!

Subscribe

*Terms and conditions apply