InDaily

Adelaide's independent news

Support

Glimmer of hope for 60 Minutes crew

News

A 60 Minutes TV crew and Sally Faulkner have marked a week in detention with no end in sight after a Lebanese judge warned the group they had violated the law by attempting to kidnap the Brisbane mum’s two children off a Beirut street.

Comments
Comments Print article

But there’s hope there might be some legal relief if Faulkner and her estranged husband Lebanese-American Ali Elamine can reach an agreement that might allow some or all of alleged crimes to be dropped or downgraded.

60 Minutes journalist Tara Brown was led into the Baabda Palace of Justice in Beirut in handcuffs on Wednesday for a second day of interviews with Judge Rami Abdullah.

Brown walked in silence past a small throng of media gathered in the hallway of the court complex.

The remaining 60 Minutes crew of cameraman Ben Williamson, sound recordist David Ballment and producer Stephen Rice arrived handcuffed to each other but appeared in good spirits when they entered the court.

The judge, who spoke individually with Faulkner, Brown and her 60 Minutes colleagues, is expected to rule within a week on whether formal charges will be laid.

The Australians are accused kidnapping and being members of a criminal gang, which can attract maximum sentences of up to three years and 10 years respectively.

The judge took a strong line telling the court at the end of proceedings that “there is no way the charges will be dropped”.

“There was a violation of the Lebanese authority by all these people, it’s a crime.”

However, Faulkner’s lawyer Ghassan Moughabghab said if Faulkner and Mr Elamine could reach an agreement, it would “help all the accused people”, including the Australian TV crew.

“The husband has to drop the charges,” Moughabghab said.

“The judge is pushing [for him] to do that.”

Abdullah appeared to agree and agreement between the parents could be pivotal.

“If any agreement will happen between them … it will help the case … for all of them,” he said.

Nine Network’s director of current affairs Darren Wick was at the court but said he was unable to comment on the proceedings.

The Australians are among a total of seven people facing charges over the botched attempt to retrieve Faulkner’s two young children in the city last week.

The children, Noah, four, and Lahela, six, were returned to their father soon after being snatched by a child recovery team as they were walking with their paternal grandmother in the southern Beirut suburb of Hadath.

It is understood the 60 Minutes team were in Lebanon to report on the recovery of the children and their return to Australia.

Judge Rami Abdullah stood the case over until Monday and all the defendants will remain in a pre-trial detention facility until then.

The children’s 32-year-old father told AAP outside the court the children were fine and were being “sheltered from it all”.

Brown said they were doing well, but didn’t know what would happen next.

“Quite genuinely we are being treated well by the standards here, it’s fine, it’s not crowded,” Brown told News Corp Australia from her cell.

“It really is quite hard to gauge at the moment what is happening so we are going through a process, we’ll see.”

AAP

We value local independent journalism. We hope you do too.

InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to become an InDaily supporter.

Powered by PressPatron

Comments

Show comments Hide comments
Will my comment be published? Read the guidelines.

More News stories

Loading next article

Subscribe to InDaily – it’s free!

South Australia’s locally owned, independent source of digital news.

Subscribe now and go in the monthly draw* for your chance to WIN a $100 voucher!

Subscribe free here

*Terms and conditions apply

Welcome back!

Did you know it’s FREE to subscribe?

Subscribe now and go in the monthly draw* for your chance to WIN a $100 voucher!

Subscribe

*Terms and conditions apply