But police say the case hasn’t reached a point where there are no leads to follow.
They have received almost 250 calls from the public since revealing in January a deceased man could have been involved with the disappearance of Jane, nine, seven-year-old Arnna and four-year-old-Grant on January 26, 1966.
“Investigators now consider this line of inquiry closed,” Detective Superintendent Des Bray said on Friday, as he thanked the public for their support.
He said most of the 37 people who had been identified as persons of interest through calls to Crime Stoppers this year had also been formally excluded from the investigation.
But he said the case had not stalled.
“We know that the next phone call or fresh piece of credible information could provide us with what we need to bring these children home to their parents,” Bray said.
Help our journalists uncover the facts
In times like these InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to donate to InDaily.