In announcing the assistance, Fringe director and CEO Heather Croall said it had been made possible by the Department of the Premier and Cabinet through Arts South Australia.
As InDaily reported in July, Fringe was seeking around $1 million in additional funding from the State Government to reduce the costs for artists participating in next year’s program, with many having received little or no income since the pandemic shutdown began.
The grants will be distributed in two tiers – $5000 and $10,000 – with applications invited from South Australian artists and producers from all genres from now until October 21, 2020.
Croall said the funding would reduce the financial risks for artists, helping them to “develop new work and revive previous work for new audiences”. A portion of the funds received must be used for venue hire, Fringe registration fees and marketing.
“Adelaide Fringe is so important for artists, audiences and businesses of SA; these grants will help to ensure that we can deliver a COVID-safe festival in these very uncertain times,” Croall said.
“The ecosystem of Fringe creates opportunities for many across Adelaide and SA, and these grants will help keep Fringe strong for 2021 and beyond.
“We know Fringe 2021 will look a little different, but we are excited to support our innovative, artists and vibrant venues that are key to making our festival thrive.”
Last week, the State Government announced an additional $10.2 million in funding to support the embattled SA arts sector, with grants of up to $20,000 available for individual artists and $100,000 for organisations.
That funding – aimed at creating jobs and fast-tracking the sector’s recovery – is specifically focussed on supporting collaborations between artists and organisations, theatre and festival re-opening, and digital innovation.
The 2021 Adelaide Fringe will run from February 19 until March 21. Details of how to apply for the grants can be found here.