Mexican Spiced Chicken Tacos with Chargrilled Sweet Corn Salsa
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup lime juice
2 x 240g pack soft wholemeal tortillas (6pk)
¼ iceberg lettuce, shredded
6 coriander sprigs
½ cup Greek yoghurt
¼ cup feta, crumbled
Chipotle hot sauce (optional)
Mexican spice mix
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon salt flakes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground aniseed
1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Chargrilled sweet corn salsa
2 cobs sweetcorn, husks removed and blanched
2 teaspoons olive oil
200g tinned black beans, drained and rinsed
½ small red onion, finely diced
½ punnet cherry tomatoes, chopped
⅓ cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons jalapeno chilli, chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
Salt and pepper
- For the spice mix, combine all the ingredients together in a medium non-metallic mixing bowl, stirring until well combined. Add olive oil and lime juice, stirring until mixture become a thin paste.
- Add the chicken thighs, stirring until well coated. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to allow chicken to marinate.
- For the corn salsa, heat a barbecue or chargrill pan to high.
- Brush blanched sweetcorn with oil and place on preheated barbecue for 2-3 minutes on each side or until outside is charred. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Using a sharp knife remove the charred corn kernels from the cob and place in a small mixing bowl. Add the drained black beans, onion, tomatoes, coriander, jalapeno chilli, lime juice, salt and pepper, stirring to combine. Set aside until required.
- To cook the chicken, heat a barbecue or chargrill pan to medium-high and thread marinated chicken onto four skewers. Place prepared chicken on preheated barbecue and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- To serve tacos, arrange tortillas, shredded lettuce, coriander sprigs, Greek yoghurt, crumbled feta, chargrilled sweetcorn salsa and cooked chicken on a serving platter.
- To assemble tacos, place a little iceberg lettuce down the centre of each tortilla, followed by some coriander, salsa, sliced chicken, feta and a dollop of yoghurt.
We value local independent journalism. We hope you do too.
InDaily provides valuable, local independent journalism in South Australia. As a news organisation it offers an alternative to The Advertiser, a different voice and a closer look at what is happening in our city and state for free. Any contribution to help fund our work is appreciated. Please click below to become an InDaily supporter.