“Honey is the ‘Ingredient of the Month’ in our Coal, Cellar + Grill Restaurant for August – along with our special Winter Food & Wine Series, Ribs & Rockford Wine Flights special menu – so now is the ideal time to visit the restaurant for your ribs fix, or try this recipe at home,” he says.
Fleming suggests serving the ribs with sautéed greens, chips, slaw “or just on their own”.
BBQ Bourbon & Honey Beef Short Ribs
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours
1kg beef short ribs (ask your butcher for 4 double bone portions)
2 brown onions
½ head of celery
3 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
1 bunch thyme
3 litres beef stock
½ dozen whole black peppercorns
3 cups honey
200ml chipotle BBQ sauce
1x cup coca cola
150ml BBQ sauce
Cracked black pepper and salt
- Place ribs into a deep baking dish and season with pepper and salt. Add to the dish roughly chopped onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and beef stock, ensuring that the ribs are completely submerged in liquid.
- Place tray into a pre-heated 140-degree oven and cook for 4 hours.
- Place honey, bourbon, coca cola and both types of BBQ sauces into a food processor and blitz.
- After required cooking time, remove ribs from the oven, carefully take them out of the braising liquid and place onto a greased oven tray.
- Generously baste the ribs with the marinade and place into a 200-degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove ribs from oven and again give them a generous basting of the marinade, then serve.
Make your contribution to independent news
A donation of any size to InDaily goes directly to helping our journalists uncover the facts. South Australia needs more than one voice to guide it forward, and we’d truly appreciate your contribution. Please click below to donate to InDaily.